Quibi saw hundreds of thousands of downloads on Monday for its debut, though it was only a fraction of Disney Plus’ numbers, according to a mobile insights firm.
- The new streaming service app Quibi saw about 300,000 downloads on its launch day.
- The numbers pushed Quibi to be the third-most popular app on the Apple App Store, according to numbers from Sensor Tower, a mobile analytics company.
- But the total doesn’t match Disney’s numbers. According to Variety, Disney Plus saw about 4 million downloads in the U.S. and Canada on its launch day, Nov. 12, 2019.
- That number means Quibi saw 7.5% of Disney Plus’ total on its launch day.
- Quibi’s content is nearly all original. Though it boasts big stars for its products, Quibi isn’t working with establish brands like other streaming services.
- Variety said: “To be sure, Disney Plus benefited from a large collection of brand-name movie and TV titles, including Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel and Disney films.”
- Amir Ghodrati, director of market insights for App Annie, told the Los Angeles Times: “It’s a strong start for a brand new app without an established brand or content like Disney+.”
- Quibi also had a lot of pre-order downloads, which led to the downloads total Monday, according to a Sensor Tower blog post.
- Sensor Tower said: “Quibi’s release figures were bolstered by a lengthy pre-order period, effectively front-loading a significant number of downloads into its launch day. We will track the app’s performance closely and provide an update soon.”