- The new film centers around what appears to be a normal day for Maggie Simpson. Soon, she meets a young baby who brings her on an adventure. So begins a playdate for the two youngsters. And then, on the next day, she sees him again. How long will this last?
- The short film originally debuted ahead of Disney and Pixar’s “Onward,” which hit theaters in March before it was released digitally and on Disney Plus due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- A similar short film, “Maggie Simpson in ‘The Longest Daycare,’” found success in 2012 with an Academy Award nomination. That short film will also make its way to Disney Plus in April, too, according to the company.
- Disney Plus is home to more than 30 seasons of “The Simpsons.”
- “Playdate with Destiny” will hit Disney Plus on the same day as the next episode of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” which has been a weekly staple since February. New content drops on Disney Plus Friday mornings.
- The addition of “Playdate with Destiny” comes as Disney Plus has added a slew of surprising content to its service. Earlier this month, Disney Plus dropped “Onward” onto its service weeks ahead of schedule, a move made due to the coronavirus pandemic keeping people home and away from movie theaters.
- Disney Plus announced Wednesday night that it has more than 50 million subscribers worldwide.