The 17th season of the dance competition series “will not be moving forward due to health and governmental restrictions in response to the COVID-19 pandemic,” Fox said in a statement, according to THR.
“As a result, while we were looking forward to its return this summer, we cannot meet the standards we’ve set for viewers and contestants in light of the show’s unique format, intricate production schedule and limited time,” said Fox, according to THR.
The series was supposed to begin taping in August, according to Entertainment Weekly.
In-person auditions for the show in New York City, Los Angeles, and Miami were canceled due to concerns about COVID-19 earlier this year, People magazine reported. Instead, auditions were submitted online up until March 22.
Other reality competition shows have had to find ways to adapt to filming restrictions brought on by the coronavirus pandemic. Shows like The Voice and American Idol aired remote episodes to finish out their seasons, with contestants and judges appearing from their own homes.