“Star Wars” star Adam Driver reportedly said that Han and Leia were bad parents, which is part of the reason why Ben Solo eventually became Kylo Ren.
- Lev Grossman, who wrote about “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” for Vanity Fair, told The Inverse that Adam Driver once explained to him what made Ben Solo want to turn to the dark side. It wasn’t just the problems with the Jedi Order or Luke Skywalker. It wasn’t Palpatine or Snoke. It might have been his relationship with his parents.
- Grossman said: “This is actually something Adam Driver said. He said that both Han Solo and Leia were way too self-absorbed and into this idea of themselves as heroes to really be attentive parents in the way a young and tender Kylo Ren really needed. There wasn’t really that much of it in the movie so I just think we have to assume his childhood sucked.”
A backstory that never came
- Grossman said that he wanted more of a Kylo Ren backstory from the films, according to IndieWire.
- “I think probably the thing that was missing for me, I wanted to see more about Kylo’s childhood. I thought they would go back to show us more about why he turned to the dark side. (Adam Driver) had a lot of interesting thoughts about Ben Solo’s childhood.”
- Our only glimpse into Ben Solo’s descent toward Kylo Ren came in “The Last Jedi,” when we see his confrontation with Luke Skywalker. Some of his journey is also explored in “The Rise of Kylo Ren” comic book series.