- Will Smith appeared on the series in the Father’s Day episode, where he talked about how he parented his children Jaden, 21, and Willow, 19, according to CNN.
- He said: “From the time I was 6 years old, I wanted to be a father. I loved how my family was, but there were massive critical deficiencies in my father’s parenting that I wanted to correct. By the time I was 10 years old, I remember looking at my father and thinking I could do it better than him.”
- Will Smith on becoming a parent for the first time: “I think that was my first moment of the real weight of parenting,” he said. “I brought him (Trey) home, and I remember we put him in the bassinet ... and it was like stark terror. It was like, ‘I’m totally responsible for this life.’ I just cried so hard. It makes me teary right now.”
Marriage and parenting discussions
- Pinkett Smith has opened up about her relationship with Will Smith before on “Red Table Talk.” As I reported, Pinkett Smith said she wasn’t sure she really knew Will Smith during their marriage.
- Pinkett Smith said: “I gotta be honest. I think one of the things that I’ve realized is that I don’t know Will at all. I feel like there’s a layer that you get to, life gets busy and you create these stories in your head, and then you hold onto these stories and that is your idea of your partner; that’s not who your partner is.”