A rare Boba Fett action figure from the “Star Wars” franchise is currently up for auction, and it’s going for $225,000.
- The Boba Fett action figure — a prototype of the true figure, which comes with a rocket projectile — is currently up for auction at $225,000.
- This would be a record-breaking purchase if someone snags it at the high price, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- The toy was a mail-away special. But the version of the toy never made it to children across the country because it had a rocket projectile that was deemed a choking hazard.
- The Hollywood Reporter said: “Yet, some of the unpainted prototypes were not destroyed and have been floating around the nerd black market for years, going for big bucks.”
Previous versions up for auction
- In October 2019, another version of this toy — called the “Boba Fett J-slot rocket-firing prototype” went up for auction, as I reported for the Deseret News. Only 80 to 100 of the prototypes were released to the public.
- “Many people would describe this as the Holy Grail of ‘Star Wars’ toys,” said Kelly McClain of Hake’s Auctions in York, Pennsylvania, according to USA Today.
- McClain said some of the toys aren’t in as strong condition anymore because “they’ve undergone rigorous testing procedures that included heating, freezing and more.”