What’s the news:
- Sanderson released the first chapter of the new graphic novel “Dark One,” which comes from Vault Comics.
- The comic was supposed to be released on Free Comic Book Day on May 2. The coronavirus pandemic postponed the release until now.
- The idea of the story came from Sanderson. Writers Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing penned the story.
- Sanderson said in an author’s letter that he thought of the idea for the story years ago but it never felt like a traditional novel, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
- He wrote: “One of the most frustrating experiences of a writer’s life is having a story that doesn’t work. But there is a delightful experience that goes with that one, hand-in-hand. That’s the day where you finally get it right — when you finally get to see completed something that has required years of labor and worry. It is with this sense of delight and long-awaited satisfaction that I finally get to present to you ‘Dark One.’”
The synopsis of the story reads:
Paul is a young man who sees visions of strange and fantastic worlds — visions he initially believes are hallucinations. But these visions turn out to be prophecies, dark projections of a world in which Paul is a tyrant who destroys the world and the craters that reside there. ‘Dark One’ examines the dual roles we often take on in life — the ability to be a survivor as well as a destroyer.
How to read it:
- The Hollywood Reporter has the entire first chapter available for reading.
- “Dark One” is available for pre-order on Sanderson’s website and Vault Comics.
- The first 500 preorders receive a Sanderson-signed bookplate and an exclusive Q&A live steam with the author. Preorders come with a bonus pack of behind-the-scenes content and a discount for Vault Comics, too.
- Preorders ship at the end of August.