- Spotify announced a new plan called Premium Duo this week.
- It costs $12.99 per month.
- Two people who live together can share one plan with separate accounts.
- Single Spotify members can sign up for the Duo account at any time.
- Spotify will create special Duo Mix playlists that will update and add music that both parties enjoy.
- “Today we are proud to launch Spotify Premium Duo, a first-of-its-kind audio offering for just two people in the same household. Premium Duo includes our extensive music and podcast catalog and everything users love about Spotify Premium. With two individual Premium accounts, you can both listen independently, uninterrupted, and get all of your personalized playlists and features tailored just for you. We are thrilled to bring this unique Spotify Premium plan to even more markets around the world.” — Alex Norström, Spotify’s chief freemium business officer
- The Verge said: “The idea is that Spotify knows what you and your partner like individually, so its software will design a playlist that you can put on in the house that’ll appeal to both of you. Listeners can switch between a chill or upbeat playlist.”
Is Apple next?
Apple Music could add a similar option in the future, per 9to5Mac: “Historically, Apple Music and Spotify have mirrored each other’s membership types, so it is at least possible that Apple will choose to offer a similar account for couples.”