Multiple groups are calling on Walt Disney World to delay its reopening, especially due to the coronavirus spikes.
What’s going on:
- The Actors Equity Association — a group that represents close to 600 progressional actors at Walt Disney World — suggested Walt Disney World follow in the footsteps of Disneyland and delay its reopening, per USA Today.
- Mary McColl, the actors group’s executive director, in a statement: “If Disneyland has postponed, it is unclear how Walt Disney World can responsibly move toward reopening when coronavirus cases are much worse in Florida.”
- A new MoveOn.org petition called for local officials to delay the reopening as well, according to USA Today.
But it’ll probably reopen ...
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Monday Disney World will still reopen on schedule, adding that the company has put a “premium” on safety.
- DeSantis said: “Disney, I have no doubt is going to be a safe environment. I think that where you start to see the spread is just in social situations where people let their guard down. Usually like a private party or something like that.”