- His manager said Diamond’s health was in “serious” condition and he was going under testing in Florida. He also went through a round of chemotherapy, CNN reports.
Diamond was known for playing Samuel “Screech” Powers on “Saved by the Bell” for more than 10 years.
- “Saturday morning viewers watched Mr. Diamond grow up on the show as he played Screech, the sweet-natured, geeky underdog and the dunce among his friends. An ongoing plotline was the character’s unrequited crush on Lisa Turtle, who was played by Lark Voorhies,” according to The New York Times.
Diamond also served three months in jail for stabbing a man in a bar fight in Wisconsin back in 2014, according to the New York Daily News.
Life as a child star
- “The hardest thing about being a child star is giving up your childhood,” he said. “You don’t get a childhood, really.”
- “I didn’t really know what I was going to do. It was hard to get work that wasn’t Screech-cloned stuff.”
- “I had been working for the last 10 years every single week, and I felt lost. As I mature I realize, wow, I was kind of going through my rebellious teens in my 20s.”
Social media reaction
I still remember getting up and watching saved by the bell every morning before school and thinking, man that screech is hilarious and lucky to have that group of friends. It’s a sad, sad say in Bayside High today. #RIP Dustin aka ‘Screech’ Diamond.— Michael Stam (@Michael_Stam) February 1, 2021
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Dustin diamond who died of cancer aged 44 saved by the Bell was one of my favourite Television shows when I was younger loved his character Samuel ""Screech" powers pic.twitter.com/88dnuqd8cv— Ellen Marie 75 (@jaysmyweakness) February 1, 2021
RIP (Screech) Dustin Diamond thanks for all the smiles, laughs, and iconic outfits pic.twitter.com/QmlswqNiBt— Hannah VW Pickett (@hannahvdubs) February 1, 2021