‘Real Housewives of Salt Lake City’ star Jen Shah once gave a confusing answer on the show about how she makes money
Shah, who was recently arrested in an alleged nationwide telemarketing scheme, once tried to explain how she makes money
“The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City” star Jennifer Shah recently tried to explain on the reality TV show how she makes money — and the answer left people a little confused, according to NBC News.
What happened to Shah?
Earlier this week, Shah was arrested on charges of conspiracy to commit wire fraud in connection with telemarketing and conspiracy to commit money laundering. The two charges can carry up to sentences of 30 years and 20 years in prison, respectively, according to the Deseret News.
- “Jennifer Shah, who portrays herself as a wealthy and successful businessperson on reality television, and Stuart Smith, who is portrayed as Shah’s first assistant, allegedly generated and sold ‘lead lists’ of innocent individuals for other members of their scheme to repeatedly scam,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss said in a press release, per the Deseret News.
- “In actual reality and as alleged, the so-called business opportunities pushed on the victims by Shah, Smith, and their co-conspirators were just fraudulent schemes, motivated by greed, to steal victims’ money,” she said. “Now, these defendants face time in prison for their alleged crimes.”
How did Jen Shah make money?
Last month, Shah was asked about how she made money during a reunion special for “The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City,” according to NBC News.
- One viewer asked her, “Why do you need four assistants?”
- “Real Housewives” executive producer Andy Cohen then asked Shah to “break down what each of them do for you outside of clapping for your fabulous outfits and driving you around.”
- Shah responded, “I need a lot of help, you know? They all do different things,” Shah said. “I run a lot of different companies and businesses, and a lot of them have different roles in the companies.”
She was then asked to explain what she did for work. Here’s what she said, according to NBC News:
- “My background is in direct response marketing for about 20 years, so our company does advertising. We have a platform that helps people acquire customers, so when you’re shopping online or on the internet, and something pops, we have the algorithm behind why you’re getting served that ad,” she said, according to NBC News.
Heather Gay, who also stars on “The Real Housewives of Salt Lake City,” said the answer confused her.
- “I try to be, like, a fairly smart person, but remember I was like, ‘I still don’t get it,’” Gay said in the episode, according to the New York Daily News. “I don’t know what she does, but I like it!”
What Shah’s profile says
Shah’s Bravo profile also has a number of references to her work and business ventures.
- “Always decked out in designer brands, Jen loves to host parties and spares no expense — it’s important to her that everyone knows she is the best host in Utah,” the profile reads.
- “A mom of two with her husband, Sharrieff, Jen is the queen of her house and her businesses as the CEO of three marketing companies.”