The once-famous Tim Tebow is officially a married man, tying the knot with fiancee Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters, according to People magazine.
What happened: Tebow, a former NFL quarterback, got married to Nel-Peters, a former Miss Universe, in a wedding in Cape Town, South Africa, over the weekend.
- The couple exchanged vows they wrote themselves.
- Tebow, who is widely known for his Christian faith as well as his sports prowess, told People magazine he added the final touches to his vows the night before the wedding.
- Tebow: “I want the vows to be perfect. I’m leaving in the traditional things like ’till death do us part,’ but I’m also adding some of my own things to it.”
- The couple included elements of American and South African traditions, according to People magazine.
- Nel-Peters: “We’re both very traditional. We wanted to look back at the wedding and see that it was intimate, elegant and traditional. We definitely wanted it to be something that we could look back on and know that nothing was dated. We want to remember this day for the rest of our lives.”
Waiting: Tebow made headlines throughout the years during his search for a partner. He often championed the idea of celibacy. His chaste lifestyle fell under criticism after Miss Universe Olivia Culpo ended their relationship because of “his virginity vow,” according to Us Weekly.
- “He was sending her love letters and cute notes and professing his love for her,” an insider told New York Daily News at the time. “She had to break up with him because she just couldn’t handle it. He still hits her up, but she just can’t deal with the sex thing. He’s pretty adamant about it.”
Now: Tebow told People magazine he has finally found his partner.
- Tebow: “I’ve been looking forward to three things. The first moment I see her in her wedding dress, the first kiss, and the first dance together as man and wife. It’s such a special night.”
- Tebow: “I’ve been waiting my entire life for someone special, who I can spend the rest of my life with. I was waiting for the right person to come along. And now I’m marrying Demi. I can’t wait to see what our future holds. All of my dreams have come true. It was 100% worth the wait.”