- President Russell M. Nelson spoke at the end of Saturday’s evening session, where he introduced a new symbol for the church.
- The new symbol includes an image of Thorvaldsen’s marble Christus statue. It stands within an arch over a cornerstone that shows the name of the church.
- “This symbol will now be used as a visual identifier for official literature, news and events of the church,” he said. “It will remind all that this is the Savior’s church and that all we do, as members of his church, centers on Jesus Christ and his gospel.”
Social media reacted to the announcement:
That new logo/symbol for the church is perfect. I love it. #GeneralConference— Jer’s Moot Tweets (@BackupBatman) April 5, 2020
Good Friday fast
- President Nelson also called for a worldwide fast on Good Friday to help those affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- “Let us unite in pleading for healing throughout the world,” he said. “Good Friday would be the perfect day to have our Heavenly Father and his Son hear us.”
Good Friday is a day of fasting and abstinence in the Catholic Church and other churches. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints fasting and praying on that day joins them with much of Christendom. I think that’s pretty cool and fitting.#GeneralConference— ElderSnoop (@ElderSnoop) April 5, 2020
Good Friday worldwide fast. I love that President Nelson has asked us to do this. There was power in doing it on 03.29, and we will be united again. #GeneralConference— David J Smith (@davidjsmithLDS) April 5, 2020
President Nelson just called on the world to fast on Good Friday (April 10th)— Matt (@Matthew_7_14) April 5, 2020
Let’s do this.#GeneralConference
President Dallin H. Oaks spoke about discerning light or darkness.
I value #PresOaks remarks because he always speaks with great precision. It's interesting hearing him speak about something as abstract as the light of our body. But the treatment really shines because of the precision.— Public Square Magazine (@PublicSquareMag) April 5, 2020
I imagine myself reading this often.#GeneralConference
President Henry B. Eyring also spoke during the Saturday night session. His message was deemed comforting by people on social media.
Social media celebrated Sister Jean Bingham for her talk on the importance of women in the church.
We need women with the courage and vision of our mother Eve #GeneralConference— Elise ✨ (@Lee_see_lou) April 5, 2020
Sis Bingham has always been a great speaker. This talk knocks it out of the park. Divine patterns, foundational doctrine. Courage, selflessness, partnership, companionship. This is what it all comes down to. #generalconference— Rebecca Clark (@GroundedWhimsy) April 5, 2020
Shoulda put these kids tiktok handles on the screen instead of their names. Get em some clout #GeneralConference— Brian Fagan (@bdfagan) April 5, 2020
Out of all the talks these youth speakers are bringing me to tears. #GeneralConference— May Bo Hubbard (@mbhubbard) April 5, 2020
Well. I kinda love this particular change in format. #GeneralConference— Caleb Spendlove (@CalebSpendlove) April 5, 2020