Kobe Bryant once told comedian Jimmy Kimmel that he thought his daughter Gianna would carry on the family legacy, CNN reports.
What happened: Bryant and Gianna passed away Sunday from a helicopter crash, which sent shockwaves throughout the world.
- NBA stars — like Donovan Mitchell and LeBron James — and NBA legends, like Karl Malone and Shaquille O’Neal — reacted to the death.
- The University of Connecticut honored Gianna with a jersey and courtside seat.
- The Brooklyn Nets honored Kobe and Gianna Wednesday night.
Flashback: Bryant once thought Gianna was the heir to his legacy. He told Kimmel in an interview back in 2018 that Gianna will carry the Mamba mantle.
- Bryant: “The best thing that happens is when we go out and fans would come up to me and she’ll be standing next to me and they’ll be like, ‘You’ve gotta have a boy, you and V gotta have a boy. You gotta have somebody to carry on your tradition, the legacy.”
- Bryant: “She’s like, ‘Oy, I got this.’ I’m like, that’s right. Yes, you do, you got this.”
- A clip of Bryant and Gianna dissecting an NBA game went viral back in December 2019.
Kobe and Gigi courtside breaking down the game 📋 pic.twitter.com/FxqSjVx6ew— ESPN (@espn) December 22, 2019
High school girls golf: 3A region recaps, Richfield, Morgan, Union and Judge Memorial claim region titles