SALT LAKE CITY — The MLS announced further details regarding its season in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
The league, which last week said it would suspend its season 30 days as it “as it continues to assess the impact of COVID-19,” announced Thursday it will extend postponement of matches, without giving an exact timeline and emphasizing its desire to play a full 2020 season.
“MLS remains focused on playing the entire 2020 season and is evaluating all options, including pushing back the end of the season and playing MLS Cup in December, as the league did prior to the 2019 season,” a league statement said.
MLS was two games into its 34-game season when the schedule suspension began. Real Salt Lake earned a draw in its first two matches of the season, including the most recent game, 1-1 against the New York Red Bulls on March 7 at Rio Tinto Stadium.
“The league is also identifying other available dates. Throughout this process, MLS will continue to prioritize the safety of our fans, players, employees and partners and to coordinate with federal and local public health authorities as well as other sporting organizations,” the statement read.