- This is the second such incident in the last two months.
Crew members from China Airlines said they saw someone in a jet pack, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
- “A China Airlines crew reported seeing what appeared to be someone in a jet pack at an approximate altitude of 6,000 feet, about seven miles northwest of Los Angeles International Airport,” the FAA said in a statement, according to CNN.
The FBI will now investigate the incident.
- “The FBI is in contact with the FAA and is investigating multiple reports of what, according to witnesses, appeared to be an individual in a jetpack near LAX,” FBI Los Angeles Field Office spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said, according to CNN.
The LAX tower then told a JetBlue pilot that there was “a person with a jetpack reported 300 yards south of the L.A. final at about 3,000 feet.’’
- The pilot said: “We heard and are definitely looking.’’
The FBI started an investigation at that point as well. No new details have emerged since.
- “The risk is obviously having a collision with that airplane or a drone or the person getting ingested into an engine,” Young said. “We have these issues with birds flying within congested airspace, as well.”