Former Vice President Joe Biden opened up on a late-night comedy show Wednesday night about what would happen if President Donald Trump lost the 2020 election and refused to leave the White House.
What’s going on:
- Biden appeared on Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show” Wednesday night. He spoke with host Trevor Noah about what would happen if President Trump lost the 2020 election but refused to leave the White House — a question and popular topic among Democrats, according to Fox News.
- Biden, who is the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee for the 2020 election, said he is “absolutely convinced” the U.S. military would intervene.
- Biden said: “I promise you. I am absolutely convinced they will escort him from the White House with great dispatch.”
- Biden said: “It’s my greatest concern. My single greatest concern. This president is going to try to steal this election. This is a guy who said that all mail-in ballots are fraudulent.”
Full Part 2 of the interview @JoeBiden: https://t.co/nMO6MSEkHb— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) June 11, 2020
Trump campaign responds:
- The Trump campaign responded to Biden’s comments.
- Tim Murtaugh, communications director for the Trump campaign, said in a statement to the Deseret News: “This is just another brainless conspiracy theory from Joe Biden as he continues to try to undermine confidence in our elections. It was the Obama Administration that tried to subvert an election by spying on the Trump campaign in 2016 and Biden himself was part of the effort to sabotage the incoming Trump Administration because they couldn’t live with President Trump’s victory. President Trump has been clear that he will accept the results of the 2020 election.”
Recent drama over polls
- According to The Hill, Biden holds “a solid lead” over Trump in national polls. One survey from CNN showed Biden with a 14-point advantage in a national race. The Trump campaign asked CNN to retract the poll and apologize.
- CNN general counsel David Vigilante responded: “To my knowledge, this is the first time in its 40-year history that CNN had been threatened with legal action because an American politician or campaign did not like CNN’s polling results,”