What’s the news:
- Amazon.com added a new banner that reads “Black lives matter” as the nation continues to see widespread protests over the death of George Floyd, racial injustice and police brutality, according to USA Today.
- Angry customers emailed Bezos about the message, calling for him to take it down. One email showed a customer sending Bezos racial slurs.
- Bezos wrote on Instagram: “This sort of hate shouldn’t be allowed to hide in the shadows. It’s important to make it visible. This is just one example of the problem. ... You’re the kind of customer I’m happy to lose.”
- Bezos said in another post that he has received “sickening” responses.
- Bezos said: “I support this movement we see happening all around us, and my stance won’t change.”
More from Amazon
- According to Fox Business, Amazon has joined a number of companies calling out institutional racism as the protests continue.
- Amazon said in a note: “We believe Black Lives Matter. We stand in solidarity with our black employees, customers, and partners, and are committed to helping build a country and a world where everyone can live with dignity and free from fear.”