The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning against excessive use of the common allergy medicine Benadryl after a new challenge went viral on social media.
What’s going on:
The FDA said there have been reports of teens taking too much Benadryl and ending up in the hospital emergency rooms.
- The challenge has led to teens deaths, too, CNN reports.
The reason? A new “Benadryl Challenge” has started to trend on TikTok.
- “We are investigating these reports and conducting a review to determine if additional cases have been reported,” the FDA said.
The FDA called on TikTok to remove any videos associated with the challenge and to monitor for any new posts related to the drug.
- “Health care professionals should be aware that the ‘Benadryl Challenge’ is occurring among teens and alert their caregivers about it,” the agency said.
How to combat the challenge
- “FDA recommends you lock up medicines to prevent accidental poisonings by children and misuse by teens, especially when they are home more often due to the COVID-19 pandemic and may be more likely to experiment.”