What’s going on?
- Specifically, TikTok will show support resources to people who search for “proana” (short for “pro-anorexia”), or “eating disorder” on TikTok.
- The app will also show the phone number for NEDA, according to The Verge.
- The search terms will lead to a new page that will show tips on how to deal with a disorder, too.
According to BuzzFeed News, the content was accessible on the TikTok “For You Page” — which is the main feed for TikTok — despite TikTok’s community guidelines blocking videos that ”promote eating habits that are likely to cause health issues.”
- An investigation from The Guardian found that the harmful content “was still easily searchable despite measures taken by the social media company to prohibit the advertising of weight-loss products.”
- These harmful accounts “were still easy to find,” The Guardian reported. “While the company had blocked some hashtags, putting the same words into a search for profiles brought up dozens of accounts promoting eating disorders.”