Facebook Twitter

This company just sued Fox News for $1.6 billion. Here’s why

‘The disinformation campaign waged against our company has caused us severe damage and undermined trust in American democratic institutions,’ said Dominion CEO John Poulos.

SHARE This company just sued Fox News for $1.6 billion. Here’s why
AP21085557624705.jpg

This Sept. 16, 2019, file photo shows a sample ballot on a Dominion Voting Systems machine in Atlanta, Georgia. Dominion Voting Systems has sued Fox News Network for $1.6 billion in a defamation lawsuit.

John Bazemore, Associated Press

Dominion Voting Systems, a target of 2020 election conspiracy theories, has sued the Fox News Network for $1.6 billion in a defamation lawsuit.

In a 443-page complaint filed in Delaware superior court Friday, the election technology company alleged that Fox News “sold a false story of election fraud in order to serve its own commercial purposes, severely injuring Dominion in the process,” according to The Associated Press

  • “Fox, one of the most powerful media companies in the United States, gave life to a manufactured storyline about election fraud that cast a then-little-known voting machine company called Dominion as the villain,” Dominion alleges in the first sentence of the complaint.
  • “The disinformation campaign waged against our company has caused us severe damage and undermined trust in American democratic institutions. These lies also have threatened the personal safety of our employees and customers. No amount of money will repair the damage done,” John Poulos, Dominion’s CEO, said in a statement Friday.
  • Both Fox News and Dominion are incorporated in Delaware, the AP reported, although each of their headquarters is elsewhere.

Earlier this year, Dominion also sued former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell — both who were lawyers for former President Donald Trump — on similar grounds, The New York Times reported.

Fox says it’s ‘proud’ of 2020 election coverage

Fox denied the allegations as “baseless” on Friday.

  • “Fox News Media is proud of our 2020 election coverage, which stands in the highest tradition of American journalism, and will vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit in court,” a spokesperson told NBC News on Friday.

In February, Fox News was sued by Smartmatic, also a voting technology company, for $2.7 billion dollars, The Washington Post reported.

  • The conservative media outlet called the Smartmatic lawsuit “an attempt to ‘stifle debate and chill vital First Amendment activities,’” according to The Post.
  • Fox “has filed four motions to dismiss the Smartmatic lawsuit,” The Post reported.

No election fraud in 2020

In an interview Thursday, former President Trump told Fox News host Laura Ingraham — of “The Ingraham Angle” — that the 2020 election “was absolutely disgraceful” and a “third world election.”

  • “If you look at the numbers, the numbers were vastly in favor of us in the presidential election,” Trump said to the Fox News host, perpetuating a myth that the election was rigged.

Former attorney general William Barr, from the Trump administration, has said there was no evidence of fraud in the 2020 election. And Trump’s Department of Homeland Security “declared the 2020 election the most secure in history,” Vox reported.