A video of a teenager from California has gone viral after she won a standoff with a wild mama bear in her backyard over Memorial Day weekend.
Per NBC Los Angeles, security camera footage showed a bear and two cubs walking along a backyard wall in a house in California. The family’s dogs rush outside to combat the bear and her two cubs.
- The bear then pawed at the dogs, showing the battle was indeed on.
She then shoved the animal in response. The bear fell backward off the wall. She said the shove was pure instinct to save her dogs.
- “I was like ... ‘there’s a bear and it is taking my dog. It is lifting it up off the ground,’” Morinico said, according to NBC Los Angeles. “In that split second, I decided to push the bear, like it was nothing, apparently.
- “I pick up my other dog and I scram.”
Morinico told KABC that she had a sprained finger on her hand from when she pushed the bear. But, she said, the dogs — one of whom is a service animal for her mom — are OK after the fight.
- “I didn’t want to know what would happen if the bear hurt her or even took her, so I had to do what I had to do,” Morinico said.
- “I couldn’t fall asleep last night thinking of all the horrible possibilities that could have happened,” her mother, Citlally Morinico, told Today.com. “Thankfully, nothing did.”