Facebook Twitter

Boy under investigation for second time for alleged threats at school, Tooele police say

SHARE Boy under investigation for second time for alleged threats at school, Tooele police say
24313e3989

Adobe Stock

TOOELE — A boy who was suspended from school last year for making a threat is under investigation again for making another threat this year, according to police.

Tooele police confirmed Monday that a charge of making a threat of violence had been presented to 3rd District Juvenile Court for screening.

According to a search warrant affidavit filed in 3rd District Court, a tip was made on Oct. 28 on the SafeUT app that a 14-year-old boy had threatened another student.

“The tip also stated that (the boy) has a history of making ‘this threat,’” the warrant states.

The boy told the classmate that he was going to “put her as the first on his list when he shoots up the school,” according to the warrant.

When the boy was interviewed by school administrators, he denied making the threat, saying “that he never would joke about the topic of school shootings as they are very serious,” the warrant states.

During a search of the boy’s bedroom, police seized “a large fixed blade knife and a notebook with stick figures shooting and stabbing one another,” according to a return to the warrant.

Police confirmed that the boy had been suspended from school for 10 days in 2018 for threatening violence, the warrant states. In that incident, the boy “had argued with other students about video games and told them that he would be better at shooting people in real-life scenarios,” the boys’ parents told police.

The boys’ parents confirmed their were no guns in their home, the warrant states,

The SafeUT Crisis Text and Tip Line is a statewide service that provides real-time crisis intervention to youth through texting and a confidential tip program. In addition to reporting threats, the app can also be used by students looking for help with bullying, mental health or suicide-related issues.