Facebook Twitter

Police: Utah man out on bail stabs woman he lives with and her brother

SHARE Police: Utah man out on bail stabs woman he lives with and her brother

Thomas Michael Taren

Salt Lake County Jail

HERRIMAN — A Herriman man awaiting trial in an alleged jail assault is now accused of stabbing the woman he lived with and her brother.

Thomas Michael Taren, 52, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of aggravated assault resulting in serious bodily injury and aggravated kidnapping, as well as aggravated robbery and interference of a communication device, according to a police affidavit filed in 3rd District Court.

Saturday afternoon, the woman’s brother reported that he saw Taren “yelling at and pushing his sister” to the ground repeatedly in their Herriman home on the 4600 block of Midas Gold Road, police said. The woman later told police at the hospital that her ribs were fractured when she was pushed down, the affidavit states.

The brother reported that the assault continued, with Taren dragging the woman into his bedroom by her foot. The two then went back to the living room, where the brother said Taren struck the woman in the face at least three times, the affidavit says.

Taren then allegedly demanded the other man give him his phone. The brother said he felt he “had no choice” but to give Taren his phone due to the threats and violence he’d witnessed, police said.

Taren then got two knives and threatened to kill the woman and her brother, police said. He allegedly grabbed them both and dragged them to the woman’s bedroom, where he struck the other man with the butt of the knife, causing a deep gash near his ear, the affidavit states. Taren then “ordered him to go into the bedroom closet,” police said.

While in the closet, the brother “could hear Thomas physically assaulting” the woman for 15 minutes, and could hear her “screaming and in obvious pain.” When the brother opened the closet, he told police he saw that his sister had severe injuries on her face, the affidavit states.

The brother then tackled Taren, and he and his sister escaped from the house, according to court documents. He reported that Taren held them in the house for about two hours, police said.

When officers later took Taren into custody, they said he still had the two knives and the other man’s cellphone.

Police noted in the affidavit that Taren was out of jail on bail while awaiting trial for a previous incident, and had only been out of jail “for a matter of days.” He also ran away from police, resisted arrest and “made several suicidal/death by police threats,” according to the affidavit.

In June, Taren was charged with aggravated assault with injury by a prisoner after allegedly kicking a cellmate in the head, causing broken bones.

In 2006, he pleaded guilty to assault by a prisoner. In 2009, he pleaded guilty to burglary and aggravated assault.