SALT LAKE CITY — A court has ordered a man held without bail after police said he was seen on surveillance footage repeatedly stabbing a woman at the TRAX station located at 900 South and 200 West in Salt Lake City as she buying a ticket on Friday afternoon.

Michael Nimmo, 50, is being held for investigation of attempted murder, aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping and failure to disclose his identity. The woman, who has not been identified but was described as wearing blue scrubs and no shoes, was listed in extremely critical condition.

The attack is seen as random. A Utah Transit Authority police affidavit said, “The suspect attacked an unknown female without cause or provocation” and described the suspect as concealing an unfolded knife he “appears to be bouncing around, as if he is getting ready to do something, this is all while he is looking at the victim.”

The victim was grabbed by the suspect shortly after 4:30 p.m. and pushed against the ticketing machine, and was seen dropping her grocery bags as he stabbed her repeatedly while holding his left arm around her neck, the affidavit said, and the attack continued even after she quickly fell to the ground.

The affidavit said the suspect is seen stabbing the victim “anywhere he could attack” at least 16 times even as she put up her hand to try to block the blows and, at one point, was able to grab the hand that held the knife but was dragged out of camera view.

View Comments

A woman is seen walking toward the incident, the affidavit said, and the suspect quickly walked away from the platform, heading toward 900 South while the victim is seen standing up with blood all around her before collapsing as a TRAX train pulled into the station. 

Shortly before the attack, the Utah Transit Authority received a report from a patron near the 1300 South station about a man with a knife, wearing gray and black shoes, gray sweatpants and a gray hoodie, police said, and while officers were responding, a train operator reported a medical call at the 900 South station less than 10 minutes later.

The victim was spotted by the officer responding to the medical call and treated with a pair of seals that covered multiple wounds. UTA police used surveillance footage to identify a suspect and a man matching the description was apprehended by Salt Lake City police at about 5:20 p.m. near 950 South and 150 West.

On Saturday, Salt Lake City Justice Court Judge Paul C. Farr issued an order that Nimmo be held without bail. Farr said in the order that he “would constitute a substantial danger to any other individual or to the community, or is likely to flee the jurisdiction of the court if released on bail.”  

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.