clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Orem man awaiting trial for exposing himself does it again, police say

Adobe Stock

SALT LAKE CITY — An Orem man already charged in one case of exposing himself to children has been arrested again for the same crime, according to police.

Robert Vincent Zickella, 55, was charged Monday in Duchesne County’s 8th District Court with three counts of lewdness involving a child, a third-degree felony because of prior offenses.

Zickella was charged last month with standing in the window of a residence and exposing himself to children outside, according to a police affidavit. He is charged in that case with two counts of lewdness involving a child, a class A misdemeanor and a class B misdemeanor.

When police arrived at the scene, they were met by Zickella’s mental health worker.

“The case worker advised me she was aware of what was going on, but has been unable to get Robert to cease his activity and has been defiant to her counsel. She said Robert told her he wanted to go to jail so he could be put back in a mental health hospital. The case worker told me although Robert does have some mental illness, he has been deemed ‘high functioning enough’ that he can live outside the hospital with supervision,” the affidavit states.

When police talked to Zickella, he said he knew what he was doing was wrong, but he would not promise the officer that he would quit his behavior, according to the affidavit.

On March 19, a competency evaluation was ordered for Zickella.

Late Sunday night, police say Zickella again exposed himself to three children, all under the age of 13, from the window of his apartment at the care center where he is being evaluated. When questioned by police, Zickella admitted he flashed the children so he could be moved to the Utah State Hospital because he did not like where he was being housed now, a second police affidavit says.

“Robert also started talking about several kids on four wheelers that he had done it to today as well and that he was not sure how many there were. I asked Robert if he knew he could get in trouble and he stated he did,” police wrote in the report.

In 2014, Zickella was charged with making a terroristic threat after “threatening to blow up the FBI building,” a police affidavit states. A judge determined he was not competent to stand trial and ordered him to the Utah State Hospital for treatment, according to court records. The case was dismissed in 2016 after Zickella had to wait seven months to get into the state hospital for an evaluation, according to court records, and the state later consented to a civil commitment.