Facebook Twitter

Deputies in the right place give life-saving aid to motorcyclist

SHARE Deputies in the right place give life-saving aid to motorcyclist

Adobe Stock

SARATOGA SPRINGS — The call for help went out to the Utah Highway Patrol.

But two Utah County sheriff’s deputies happened to be less than a mile from where a man said his wife crashed her motorcycle Sunday morning, so they decided to see if they could help.

The pair ended up saving the woman’s life.

Deputies Tony Sorensen and Amber Steele arrived at the crash site on state Road 68, about four miles south of Saratoga Springs, less than a minute after they heard the call for help at 10:33 a.m. on Sunday, according to Utah County Sheriff’s Sgt. Spencer Cannon.

They found a 48-year-old West Jordan woman with a horrific injury.


Deputy Tony Sorensen applied a tourniquet to the arm of a woman injured in a motorcycle accident, which paramedics said saved her life.

Utah County Sheriff’s Office

“The woman was driving south when she was unable to negotiate a curve, crossed over the northbound lane, and struck a guardrail,” Cannon said. “Her left arm was almost completely severed above the elbow and she was bleeding severely. Her husband had used a belt as a tourniquet but it did not stop the bleeding. Deputy Tony Sorensen applied a tourniquet, which is part of his issued equipment, above the belt and stopped the bleeding from the woman’s arm.”

While Sorensen tended to the injured woman, Steele called for a medical helicopter.

The helicopter arrived and carried the woman to a hospital, where she remains but is expected to recover, Cannon said.


Utah County Sheriff’s Deputy Amber Steele, seen here with her graduation certificate, helped save the life of a West Jordan woman who was severely injured in a motorcycle accident.

Utah County Sheriff’s Office

Paramedics with the Saratoga Spring Fire Department told the deputies that without the tourniquet applied by Sorensen, the woman likely would not have survived. Additionally, the medical helicopter arrived four minutes after the firefighters and paramedics, a remarkable response time considering the remote location, Cannon said.