GARDEN CITY, Rich County — A fire in a mobile home community near Bear Lake destroyed three homes late Saturday, causing several propane tanks to explode in booms that could be heard and felt from miles away.
No injuries were reported in the fire that broke out about 9 p.m. in the Sweetwater Park Mobile Home Park, said Garden City Fire District Chief Mike Wahlberg.
“Propane appears to be the one of the initiating factors in the fire and an investigation is currently underway,” Wahlberg said in a statement.
The fire consumed the first home at 3199 Nina Loop and quickly destroyed two others. It then spread to a fourth home, badly damaging it, Wahlberg said. A fifth building had minor damage.
Wahlberg’s crews and others from the Laketown Fire District and Bear Lake County Fire Department extinguished the fire by about 11:30 p.m., Wahlberg said. Eight engines and at least 30 firefighters battled the blaze.
Several propane tanks exploded in the fire, shaking the neighborhood. Homeowners and those visiting the area reported hearing and feeling the booms from several miles away, Wahlberg said.