SALT LAKE CITY — Utah reported 376 new cases of the novel coronavirus on Sunday with one new death.
A Cache County man between the ages of 45 and 64, who was hospitalized at the time of his death, is the latest to die from the virus, according to Utah health officials. He is the only death to be reported in Utah this weekend.
A total of 336 people have now died in Utah from the coronavirus and 44,127 have tested positive.
The rolling seven-day average for positive tests is 411 per day. The rolling seven-day average for percent of positive laboratory tests is 9.1%, the health department stated.
There were 196 people hospitalized in Utah due to COVID-19 as of Sunday. A total of 2,620 have been hospitalized since the outbreak began, according to health officials. A total of 33,914 people are considered “recovered.”
A total of 570,613 people had been tested in Utah as of Sunday, an increase of 4,258 from Saturday.
Nationally, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. hit the 5 million mark on Sunday, by far the highest of any country, according to the running count kept by Johns Hopkins University. Health officials believe the actual number is perhaps 10 times higher, or closer to 50 million, given testing limitations and the fact that as many as 40% of all those who are infected have no symptoms.
The U.S. is currently averaging 54,000 new cases a day, down from a peak of more than 70,000 last month, but cases are rising in nearly 20 states.
The latest breakdown of Utah cases, hospitalizations and deaths by health district:
- Salt Lake County, 20,628; 1,344 hospitalized; 189 deaths.
- Utah County, 8,719; 403 hospitalized; 37 deaths.
- Davis County, 3,224; 180 hospitalized; 21 deaths.
- Southwest Utah, 3,210; 179 hospitalized; 25 deaths.
- Weber-Morgan, 2,824; 177 hospitalized; 25 deaths.
- Bear River (Box Elder, Cache, Rich), 2,303; 107 hospitalized; 7 deaths.
- Summit County, 710; 53 hospitalized; 1 death.
- San Juan County, 648; 83 hospitalized; 25 deaths.
- Tooele County, 581; 30 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
- Wasatch County, 563; 21 hospitalized; 4 deaths.
- Central Utah, 426; 25 hospitalized; 2 deaths.
- TriCounty (Uinta Basin), 179; 12 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
- Southeast Utah, 112; 6 hospitalized; 0 deaths.
Contributing: Associated Press