clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Lloyd Preal George Jr., 75, a Kanosh rancher and businessman who served for six years as a general authority for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, died Monday afternoon, May 13, 1996, at LDS Hospital.

Elder George was sustained to the First Quorum of the Seventy at the October 1988 general conference and the Second Quorum in April 1989. He was released at the October 1994 conference.At the time of his death, he was serving in a branch presidency at the Missionary Training Center in Provo.

As a general authority, he was a counselor in the North America Southeast, North America Central, Pacific, Utah Central and Utah North area presidencies. As a counselor in the Utah Central Area presidency, he was a member of the Salt Lake Temple Centennial Committee.

He was born Sept. 17, 1920, in Kanosh, Millard County, to Preal and Artemesia Palmer George. He attended Brigham Young University and Eau Claire State Teachers College in Wisconsin before embarking on a business career.

He married Leola Stott of Meadow, Millard County, in the Salt Lake Temple on Jan. 8, 1943. They were parents of a son, Richard L. George, and two daughters, Janet and JoAnne, and have numerous grandchildren.

Elder George served as a missionary in the Southern States Mission from 1941 to 1942. Upon his release he was drafted into the military, entered the Army Air Corps and was accepted for pilot training. He eventually became a pilot trainer.

After completing military service, he started putting together his ranching operation near Kanosh. He started with one cow and a parcel of land but eventually turned it into a successful ranch. Elder and Sister George retired from their ranch in 1979.

He and his wife also operated a mercantile store in Kanosh.

In the LDS Church, Elder George served as a regional representative for 31/2 years in the Cedar City and Panguitch regions, president of the Millard (now Fillmore Utah) Stake for nine years and bishop of the Kanosh Ward for 10 years. He also was a Sunday School superintendent and a branch president on the Piute Indian Reservation near Kanosh.

Elder George presided over the Arizona Tempe Mission from 1984 to 1987. After serving the mission they lived in Orem, and at the time of his call as a general authority he had been working for 10 years as a real estate broker.

Funeral services are pending.