clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

3 girls waited as dad bought gun used to kill them

DENVER (Reuters) -- The Colorado father who killed his three young daughters Wednesday told the girls to wait in his truck while he went to buy the gun he used to kill them, officials said.

William Palsuich, the man who sold the gun to Simon Gonzales, did everything legally, including running a background check on him before selling him a 9mm handgun for $346, police said.Gonzales used the gun to kill his daughters Leslie, 7; Katheryn, 8; and Rebecca, 10; and then drove to a police station in Castle Rock, 20 miles south of Denver, where he died in a gunfight with police.

"The gun seller even offered to have the girls come in (during the transaction)," Douglas County Sheriff's Deputy Kim Stuckenschneider said, adding that Gonzales said they could wait outside.

Gonzales found Palsuich, of Lakewood, Colo., through a newspaper advertisement. Palsuich, who hold a license to sell firearms from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, operates from his home.

Wednesday's triple murder in Castle Rock came two months after two teenage gunmen in nearby Littleton, stormed their high school, killing 12 fellow students and a teacher before killing themselves.

Two young men involved in helping the underage gunmen obtain their weapons have been charged and could go to prison if convicted.

Gonzales, 30, who was in the midst of a bitter divorce from his wife, Jessica, killed the girls before dawn Wednesday and then drove with their bodies in his truck to the Castle Rock police station, where he began firing shots through the station's plate glass window.

Stuckenschneider said the dealer was "distraught" over the shootings, and had told police he noticed nothing suspicious in Gonzales' behavior at the time of the sale.

"The girls were determined to have died from multiple gunshot wounds. The wounds were consistent with the nine millimeter hand gun like that taken from Mr. Gonzales that night after the shooting," Mike Knight, of the Douglas County district attorney's office, told reporters.

Gonzales picked up the girls on Tuesday evening. Their mother, Jessica Gonzales, called police around midnight when he did not return home with the girls. She had complained to police in late May that her husband had violated a restraining order she had obtained against him.

An attorney for Jessica Gonzales said funeral arrangements for the girls were pending.