EARLY 1900s VS. 2005 — The Anderson Tower used to occupy part of the barren hillside on the east slope, above Memory Grove. This undated photo shows the tower, probably as it looked in the early 1900s. This tower was built by Robert R. Anderson in 1884 at about "A" Street and Fifth Ave, as a reminder of similar towers in Scotland. It was composed of granite, from the same quarry that supplied the Salt Lake LDS Temple. However, the tower never took off as a tourist attraction, as Anderson hoped. It stood for 48 years and was demolished in 1932. Today, the Memory Grove hillsides are lush with trees and foliage and dominated by residential housing.
Then and now: Salt Lake City
By Deseret News