clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Kiplyn murder charge filed

Jeppson has been convicted already of perjury in the case

PROVO — A murder charge was filed Thursday against a second man in the case of a Utah County teenage girl who has been missing since 1995.

Christopher Jeppson, 30, was charged Thursday in 4th District Court with first-degree felony murder. Jeppson was booked into the Utah County Jail at 7:30 p.m. and was being held on $100,000 cash-only bail. In January 2006, Jeppson's acquaintance, Timmy Brent Olsen, 30, was charged with murder in connection with Kiplyn Davis' disappearance.

According to an affidavit in support of a $100,000 warrant, a confidential informant called police in 2001 to report that "Jeppson had told her that he and his friends, Rucker Leifson and Olsen, had gotten drunk and Kiplyn Davis was killed or died accidently. Chris Jeppson stated that after her death 'they' had taken her to a building which was under construction, and buried her under an area that was going to be concreted the next day."

The affidavit was filed in court late Thursday afternoon, just hours after the Utah County Attorney's Office sent out an announcement indicating a press conference today would reveal updated information about the case. Officials from the U.S. Attorneys Office, the FBI and the Spanish Fork Police Department are scheduled to speak.

This is the second press conference in this 12-year-old case; the first one happened in January 2006 with the announcement of a felony charge against Olsen.

Another informant approached police in 2005 to say that years ago, when the informant and Jeppson were dating, he told her he'd killed Davis, according to the affidavit, written by Spanish Fork Police Lt. Steve Adams.

"Chris Jeppson later said that he, acting in concert with others, disposed of Kiplyn Davis' body," and also said that several men dumped her body in Spanish Fork Canyon, according to the affidavit.

Five men have been indicted by a grand jury for lying to federal officials about their involvement in Davis' disappearance.

Olsen is serving a 12 1/2-year sentence in federal prison in Phoenix, Ariz., for 15 perjury convictions and also faces the murder charge. The murder case has hit roadblock after legal roadblock, as attorneys raise questions concerning Olsen's due process rights as well as inmate-custody issues between federal and state jurisdictions.

His next court hearing has not been set.

Jeppson was convicted in early September on five charges of perjury for lying to officials about Davis' disappearance. Rucker Leifson will go to trial in November and two other men, Scott Brunson and Gary Von Blackmore, took plea deals in exchange for promises that they would testify against the other men.

The differing stories about where Davis is buried has prevented officials from finding her body and bringing her home to her parents, who already have a headstone for her at the Spanish Fork Cemetery.

When Davis never came home from Spanish Fork High School on May 2, 1995, her parents searched the area, including the high school. They also called people with questions about her whereabouts.

Davis' mother, Tamara Davis, called one informant who said that he saw Davis with Jeppson at school during the morning school hours, according to the affidavit.

That informant later called Jeppson's house and found him walking in with Leifson and Olson just before midnight.

The Davis family members have attended nearly all of the state and federal hearings and continue to ask anyone with information to come forward so they can find their daughter's body.