NEW ORLEANS — Sara and Dejohn Benson made a lot of noise as they jumped up and down waiting for the next float to roll down St. Charles Avenue. The bead-laden brother and sister, ages 10 and 7, were making up for lost time after missing out on their usual quota of parades because of heavy rain the day before.

"After being cooped up all day yesterday, there was no way we were missing parades today," said their mother, Trina Benson. "A little cold is better than cold and wet."

Sunday's festivities started two hours early to accommodate two parades rained out on Saturday.

Six parades were filling the streets into Sunday night, capped by the Krewe of Bacchus with actor Will Farrell reigning over the mega-parade.

Ferrell has been in New Orleans since November, filming a movie recently renamed "The Campaign."

The krewe that invited him is known for its lavish floats, including three theme floats — the Bacchasaurus, the 105-foot long, two-part Bacchagator, and the 85-foot long Bacchawhoppa.

Among the group's past celebrity kings were Saints quarterback Drew Brees and actors Val Kilmer and Michael Keaton.

Chilly weather and blustery winds did not seem to bother any of the crowd lining the streets throughout the day. Most warmed up quickly, scrambling for beads and other trinkets.

"This isn't bad, and the glimpses of sun we're seeing really feel nice," said Paul Gifford, who said he probably would not make it through Bacchus. "This is a real workout."

The crowd around him agreed, pointing to not only the beads they wore, but plastic bags filled with more beads and goodies.

View Comments

"It's amazing," said Barbara Dewitt of Boston, who was attending her first Mardi Gras. "I can't believe they just throw all of this to people — for free."

There had been no problems along the parade routes, New Orleans police spokesman Gary Flot said Sunday afternoon, adding that everyone seemed to be having a good time.

One more of Saturday's rained out parades will roll Monday afternoon. And Orpheus, the parade started by performer Harry Connick, Jr., parades Monday night.

Tuesday will feature nonstop parades and festivities in the French Quarter until midnight, when Lent begins and police shut the revelry down.

Join the Conversation
Looking for comments?
Find comments in their new home! Click the buttons at the top or within the article to view them — or use the button below for quick access.