clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Ex-USU football player Maurice Alexander sentenced to jail for hitting teammate

LOGAN — A former Utah State University football player has been sentenced to jail for punching a teammate in the face after a party.

Maurice Alexander, who played linebacker for the Aggies, was ordered to serve 365 days in jail, pay a $1,500 fine, spend one year on probation and pay $21,341 in restitution by 1st District Court Judge Clint Judkins. The judge suspended all but 45 days of the jail sentence and gave the man credit for the 12 days he has already served.

Alexander, 21, pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of aggravated assault resulting in bodily injury, a class A misdemeanor, in June. He was originally facing a second-degree felony.

According to court documents, Alexander was at a large party at the Oakridge Apartments, 1355 N. 800 East, on Jan. 29 when the crowd started pushing and shoving. Alexander and his teammate, running back Joseph DeMartino, "were pushed into one another."

"Maurice began to exchange words with Joey which seemed to be aggressive but the two were separated and no further contact occurred in the apartment," the charges state.

The party's host decided the party was getting to be "too much" and ended it by escorting everyone present outside. Witnesses reported that DeMartino was in the parking lot talking with a friend when "Maurice ran up to Joseph and punched him on the left side of his face," according to the charges.

DeMartino briefly lost consciousness and fell to the ground and Alexander left the area. DeMartino was later taken to the emergency room where he had to undergo emergency surgery for broken bones in his left eye socket, a fractured cheekbone and multiple stitches.

DeMartino reported the incident to police a month later on Feb. 29.

"USU football coaches were made aware of the incident and sent Maurice to his home in St. Louis, Missouri prior to the report of the incident," the charges state.

Charged were filed against Alexander in April. Because he was in Missouri, he had to be extradited for court proceedings. As part of the sentence, Judkins also ordered that Alexander pay $2,342 in extradition costs.

A USU football spokesman confirmed Tuesday that Alexander is no longer a member of the team.


Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam