This Nauvoo, Illinois, dwelling was built as a duplex shared by Erastus Snow and Nathaniel Ashby and their families. It is located on the west side of Hyde Street just north of Parley Street in Nauvoo.
Erastus Snow married his first wife, Artemesia Beman, Dec. 3, 1838. Following the Nauvoo years, the Snow family migrated west. Snow was one of the first to enter the Salt Lake Valley. He was ordained an apostle of the LDS Church in 1849 and spent his life doing missionary work and colonizing until his death in 1888.
Nathaniel Ashby and his wife, Susan, had 12 children. While living in Salem, Massachusetts, the family joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1841. Snow was one of the ones to bring the gospel to Salem. The Ashby family moved to Nauvoo two years later and bought their half of the duplex from Snow, who utilized the other half.
Nathaniel Ashby died heading west at Bonaparte, Iowa, in 1846. Susan Ashby remarried and bore one child from that marriage. She passed away in 1851.