Mexico and Trinidad and Tobago traded goals in an exciting 3-3 draw at Rio Tinto Stadium, with a late equalizer from Mexico's Hector Herrera putting the finishing touches on a rare international exhibition in Sandy.

Conceding two first-half goals didn't deter a Mexico-supporting sell-out crowd at Rio Tinto Stadium, who were sent into near-raptures at every shot, cross and tackle.

The typical red and blue shirts that pack Rio Tinto Stadium were replaced by shades of red, green and white, with groups of Trinidad and Tobago supporters interspersed across the stadium.

Until the 85th minute, it looked likely that Trinidad and Tobago was headed for an unlikely victory, but a stunning goal from midfielder Herrera knotted the sides at 3-3, setting the crowd alight.

Herrera, who plies his trade at one of Portugal's biggest clubs, Porto, was a second-half substitute; his moment of individual brilliance — a curling goal from deep in midfield — saved some embarrassment for interim Mexican national team manager Ricardo Ferretti.

In the 69th minute, Trinidad and Tobago's Joevin Jones, who plays in MLS at Chicago Fire, scored a dangerous free kick just outside the box that led to the third goal for Trinidad and Tobago, increasing the chance of an unlikely upset.

Jones' no-run free kick surprised both the Mexico wall and goalkeeper Alfredo Talavera, who was static as the free kick zipped over the wall and hit the back of the net.

Mexico's two-goal deficit inside 38 minutes came after a script-flipping goal from Trinidad and Tobago forward Jonathan Glenn, the unlikely first-half star.

Glenn's seventh-minute header shocked both a Mexico-favoring crowd and a defensive line playing its first match under interim manager Ferretti.

The 38th minute brought a second goal for Trinidad and Tobago, when Glenn kept the ball with an inch-perfect tackle on Mexican defender Oswaldo Alanis before turning and crossing the ball for Keron Cummings, who scored with a finish from a difficult angle.

The two-goal deficit was against the run of play — Mexico controlled the match before that — but it also reflected a fast-moving, counterattacking style that suited plucky underdogs Trinidad and Tobago well against a Mexico side that was intent to show a creative, attacking style.

That style came to fruition only minutes later, when Mexico right back Carlos Esquivel pulled a goal back with a well-placed header past Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams. Jorge Torres Nilo earned the assist with a precision cross to the middle of the penalty area, giving the Mexican team an invaluable goal heading into the locker room at halftime.

In the opening minutes of the second half, young Mexican forward Henry Martin, 22, was at the forefront of two missed opportunities after a heavy touch first deprived him of a clear-cut opportunity, then a crunching tackle on a breakaway play left him unable to continue in the match.

Portugal-based forward Raul Jimenez replaced him to immediate effect, scoring an equalizer with his second touch of the game. His first touch in the game created the moment: a chested pass for Esquivel, who played a delicate lob to free the striker in the penalty area.

Ferretti turned toward Liga MX players, with whom he was certainly more familiar, for his first squad as boss, with only two Europe-based players, Diego Reyes and Carlos Vela, playing from the outset. Two Portugal-based players, Hector Herrera and Jimenez, salvaged a result with second-half goals.

It was an entertaining result for Ferretti's first match as manager of the Mexican national team, having taken over for Miguel Herrera, who was removed from the post after being accused of punching a journalist on July 28.

Despite joining the team in Salt Lake City on Thursday, Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez was unavailable for selection after playing in an exhibition for his new club, Bayer Leverkusen, on Wednesday.

Matt Montgomery is the managing editor of RSL Soapbox.

Twitter: TheCrossbarRSL