clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Utah faux flower business EcoFlower on ABC's 'Shark Tank'

It was the fourth time that was the charm for Meagan Bowman of Ogden, who won a deal on “Shark Tank” during the Friday, Nov. 3, episode.

Her business is EcoFlower, which uses recycled and sustainable materials, such as bamboo, paper and jute, to make flowers and floral gifts.

“I started this business watching Shark Tank and to actually be here and get a deal is incredible,” Bowman said during the episode. “I’m trying to create jobs and I’m trying to feed my family and not struggle again.”

Bowman said the company was started after she saw an episode of “Shark Tank” and wanted something to pitch. She made and sold bamboo flowers as a teenager and her father encouraged her to do something with that.

She started as a single mother in a one-bedroom apartment and the company grew.

She first tried out for “Shark Tank” in 2014, according to her blog on ecoflower.com.

“Each time, I made it further into the process as I became better at my pitch,” Bowman wrote of her “Shark Tank” tryouts.

During Friday’s episode Bowman was looking for $400,000 for a 10 percent stake in the company.

The six Sharks, or investors, were impressed with her company’s growth in a year and a half with $2.8 million in sales.

Their questions centered around the niche of her business, as the two female investors, Barbara Corcoran and Lori Greiner, said they would prefer fresh flowers.

They all saw her company’s structure — she owns 25 percent of the company and three investors have the other 75 percent — as a downside to the deal.

Five sharks said they were out and Daymond John, who built an apparel business, negotiated with Bowman for a higher stake in the business.

They agreed to 20 percent in the company — 5 percent from Bowman and her three investors — for the $400,000 and John sealed with a “You’ve got a deal.”

Email: rappleye@deseretnews.com Twitter: CTRappleye