Shortly after Joseph Smith acquired the golden plates from Hill Cumorah in western New York, he and his wife, Emma, moved to Harmony, Pennsylvania. They lived in a small home on 13 acres not far from the home of Emma’s parents for most of 1828-1830.
In his Harmony home, the Prophet produced about 60 percent of the text of the Book of Mormon. Earlier, he had translated 116 pages known as the Book of Lehi. Those pages were subsequently lost by Martin Harris, who had served as scribe for that portion of the Book of Mormon. It was just after Joseph had dictated the text of the 116 pages that Emma gave birth to her first child, a son named Alvin. He only lived a few hours.
Fifteen revelations that are now in the Doctrine and Covenants were received by the Prophet while he and Emma lived in that home. It is thought that Moses 1 in the Pearl of Great Price was revealed there as well.
In 2015, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints completed construction of the rebuilt Harmony home of Joseph and Emma Smith on the original site near what is now Oakland, Pennsylvania. It was dedicated on Sept. 19, 2015, by President Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.