clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man flees officers in multiple chases, runs over police motorcycle, UHP says

SALT LAKE CITY — What police say started as a traffic stop for a man not wearing a seat belt turned into a series of destructive events across multiple police jurisdictions, ending with the man's arrest Thursday.

A Utah Highway Patrol deputy stopped Elliott Hanson, 25, and a female passenger on northbound I-15 near 2300 South about 9:15 a.m. Hanson initially pulled his white Cadillac DeVille to the side of the road, but then sped off, UHP Sgt. Todd Royce said.

Hanson is on probation and wanted for probation violations, plus has an "extensive criminal history," he said.

The trooper did not give chase, but officers from multiple agencies were able to track the driver's erratic movements through Salt Lake City.

"What we like to do is not get into a pursuit because that's a dangerous situation, we all know that," Royce said. "We just basically tracked them with their erratic movements, with traffic accidents and (emergency calls) at the Triad Center," Royce said.

Hanson was spotted exiting I-15 at 600 South. Troopers and an off-duty Cottonwood Heights police officer attempted to box the DeVille in, Royce said, but Hanson began driving into civilian cars and ran over a trooper's motorcycle.

The trooper dove off the bike and wasn't injured, the sergeant said.

"It probably would have been significant injuries," Royce said. "The trooper probably would have faced some injuries, but this trooper, he's pretty tough. Who knows what would have happened."

Driving against the one-way traffic on 600 South, Hansen headed west, hitting other vehicles on his way, Royce said.

Hanson then headed to the Triad Center, 55 N. 300 West, and attempted to get into the building's parking garage by ramming into the gate, he said. When building security headed over, Hanson and a woman who was with him abandoned the car and fled on foot, catching a TRAX train to 900 South.

"We have multiple jurisdictions, we have multiple agencies involved," Royce said. "This is a great example of multiple agencies working together."

Utah Transit Authority police approached Hanson and the woman as they were sitting in the shade near 900 S. State. Hanson allegedly ran on foot while the woman, who police are working to identify, was taken into custody.

Hanson was ultimately arrested by Salt Lake police who found him hiding in a shed at 831 Edison, according to the sergeant.

Prior to being booked into Salt Lake County Jail, Hanson was evaluated for minor injuries he sustained during the incident. No bystanders were injured.


Twitter: McKenzieRomero