One of the most frequently viewed structures in Nauvoo, Illinois, is the extant home that once belonged to Jacob Weiler. The house is located near the front of the Nauvoo Temple on the west side of Durphy Street, just before Durphy turns east and becomes Mulholland. Weiler was a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He and his wife, Anna Malin, arrived in Nauvoo in July 1840. His occupation was contractor. Weiler worked on the Nauvoo Temple and participated in temple ordinances in that building before leaving Nauvoo for the west. (See Richard Holzapfel and Jeffery Cottle, “Old Mormon Nauvoo,” page 75.)
Jacob Weiler was a member of the Brigham Young vanguard company arriving in the Salt Lake Valley in July 1847. “The Jacob Weiler family, Record of temple work (ca. 1895-1900), 75-77” on history.churchofjesuschrist.org records this sentiment: “We felt willing to brave danger and deny ourselves of the pleasures and comforts of civilization if it was possible that we might find or gain a resting place where we could worship God according to the dictates of our own conscience in peace.”
Jacob Weiler presided over the Third Ward in Salt Lake City for nearly four decades. Upon his release, he was called to serve as a patriarch (see, “Another Pioneer Gone, Deseret Weekly, on March 28, 1896, available via Utah Digital Newspapers).
Kenneth Mays is a board member of the Mormon Historic Sites Foundation and a retired instructor in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints’ Department of Seminaries and Institutes.