clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Teen arrested in attack of Utah organist practicing in church

Police issue another warning about sexual behavior and extortion on social media following a recent incident in West Valley City.
Police on Wednesday arrested a teen who they say strangled a 71-year-old woman who was practicing the organ in a church building last November.
Adobe Stock

CENTERVILLE — Police on Wednesday arrested a teenager who they say strangled a 71-year-old woman who was practicing the organ in a church meetinghouse last November.

They say they found the 17-year-old boy using DNA evidence found at the scene.

On Nov. 17, the woman was alone in a meetinghouse of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints at 270 N. 300 East in Centerville late on a Saturday night, police said. All doors to the building were locked.

"The woman reported she was practicing at the organ about 9 p.m. when she heard loud pounding for several minutes on the locked door of the chapel," Centerville Police Lt. Zan Robison said in November.

She was then "suddenly attacked from behind while playing the organ and was (choked) into unconsciousness multiple times," Centerville police said in a statement Wednesday.

The boy got into the building by breaking a window, according to police.

The Centerville teen was arrested without incident in Kaysville and booked into a juvenile detention center for investigation of aggravated burglary and aggravated assault, police said.

His name was not released.

"Centerville detectives have been working diligently on this case since it occurred and developed a person of interest. Detectives were able to collect DNA evidence left behind on discarded objects by the person of interest which were sent to the state lab for processing. This investigation took several months, but it remained a priority for us," police said.

According to Centerville Police Chief Paul Child, there is no known connection between the boy and the woman.

"We have informed the victim of this incident of the arrest, and she expressed relief," police said.