Emilio Estevez will reprise his legendary role as coach Gordon Bombay in the upcoming “The Mighty Ducks” reboot show, which is slated to drop on Disney Plus.
What is going on?
- Disney Plus announced Thursday that Estevez will return as one of the show’s stars and as an executive producer of the project.
- Estevez said in a statement: “Once a Duck, always a Duck! and after 25 years, I am delighted to lace up my skates, put on Coach Bombay’s jacket and return to play the iconic character for this new chapter in ‘The Mighty Ducks’ franchise. Likewise, I am thrilled to return to my old stomping grounds with my friends at Disney and Steve Brill, the original creator of the franchise, to join them on their exciting new platform, Disney Plus.”
- Agnes Chu, the senior vice president for content at Disney Plus, praised the decision for Estevez to return: “It was an easy decision to bring back the Quack Attack with a modern and fresh twist. For a generation, ‘The Mighty Ducks’ stood for teamwork, friendship, and heart and we’re excited to see the Ducks fly together once again and bring the franchise to new audiences around the world. We are thrilled to have Emilio Estevez reprising his iconic role.”
How does Bombay return?
- The new show will be centered around a ragtag team that looks to take down The Mighty Ducks, a team that has become super competitive and a powerhouse. A young player named Evan (Brady Noon) will work with his mother Alex (Lauren Graham) to build their own team to beat the Mighty Ducks. Bombay (Estevez) will help the new, young team.
- Bombay was briefly seen in “D3: The Mighty Ducks” — the third and final film in the original trilogy. He briefly appeared to encourage Charlie Conway (Joshua Jackson) to keep playing hockey under a new coach.
More details about ‘The Mighty Ducks’ reboot
- The new Disney Plus show will have 10 episodes.
- It will premiere in 2020.