Highlights, key plays and photos from Utah State’s 26-24 win over Colorado State
For the first time this season, Utah State didn’t need to rally from a double-digit deficit to earn a victory.
In true Utah State fashion, the Aggies found a way against Colorado State Friday night, holding on for a thrilling 26-24 victory. Utah State claims sole possession of first place in the Mountain division in the MWC with the win, and improves to 5-2 on the season.
Utah State 26, Colorado State 24
- With 9:05 remaining in the fourth quarter, Colorado State cut the Aggies lead to just one possession on a 40-yard field goal by Cayden Camper. The Rams drove 69 yards in 7 plays and 1:42.
- Stopped inside Colorado State territory, Coles connected on his fourth field goal of the game (34 yards) with 5:03 left in the game, giving the Aggies a two-score lead. Coles has accounted for more than half of the Aggies points.
- Colorado State had a quick and decisive answer to Coles’ field goal. Led by quarterback Todd Centeio, the Rams drove 73 yards down the field in less than a minute and half, a drive that ended with a 13-yard touchdown reception by Gary Williams.
- With seconds remaining and possession, Colorado State missed the potential game-winning field goal, giving the Aggies the victory. Utah State scored only six second half points and was out-gained by Colorado State 472 to 344, but the Aggies did just enough to hold on for the victory.
Instead of spiking it on first down and stopping the clock, Colorado State rushed their field goal unit onto the field.— CBS Sports Network (@CBSSportsNet) October 23, 2021
With the clock running, they then missed the potential game-winning field goal. Utah State wins the game. pic.twitter.com/vw3sXclgDP
Utah State 23, Colorado State 14
- The Aggies opened the second half with possession and after a 12-play, 55-yard drive pushed their lead to two scores on a 42-yard Coles field goal. Coles has now made back-to-back-to-back field goals for Utah State.
Utah State 20, Colorado State 14
- The Aggies broke through first with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Logan Bonner to Derek Wright. The score capped off a 6-play 66-yard drive that started with a Colorado State fumble in Utah State territory.
- The Rams answer came on the subsequent possession. CSU marched 78 yards down the field in 14 plays, a drive that ended with a a 4-yard touchdown run by David Bailey.
- For the second time in the quarter, Bonner found Wright for a touchdown reception, this one for 38 yards.
- The Rams scored their second touchdown of the game with 5:11 remaining in the half. David Bailey rushed for his second score, a 2-yard run to finish off a 7-play, 75-yard drive that took just over two minutes.
- The Aggies retook the lead with 1:30 left in the first half, on a 45-yard field goal by Connor Coles. Coles kick capped off a 7-play drive.
- Coles added another field goal, this one from 30-yards out, with 33 seconds remaining in the quarter.
Colorado State 0, Utah State 0
- The Aggies forced a pair of turnovers, and had over a 100 yards on offense but could not score, despite a trip into the red zone.
- Colorado State, meanwhile, also forced a turnover and had 75 yards on offense, but the Rams were unable to get into the red zone and threaten to score.
- Both teams pounded the ball on the ground, with USU rushing for 70 yards, CSU for 75.
Here are a few stories to get you ready for the game: