Deven Thompkins just broke a 20-year old Utah State football receiving record
A semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award, Thompkins has the most receiving yards in a single season by a wide receiver in Utah State history.
Utah State wide receiver Deven Thompkins has been one of the best past catchers in the country this season.
He was one of 10 players named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award, becoming only the second Aggie ever to be nominated (Kevin Curtis was a semifinalist in 2001).
Now, he has the most receiving yards in a single season by a wide receiver in Utah State history.
Thompkins broke a 20-year old school record Saturday against the New Mexico Lobos, a mark set by Curtis in 2001. With a six-yard reception in the third quarter, Thompkins surpassed Curtis’ record of 1,531 receiving yards.
Rewriting records books isn’t exactly a new thing for Thompkins this season. He also broke the school record for consecutive 170-yard receiving games (5), set by Kevin Alexander (4) in 1995.
The school record for the most touchdowns in a single season remains in reach for Thompkins as well. Tracy Jenkins set that record in 1990, with 14 touchdown receptions. Thompkins has nine touchdown catches this season.
Other records Thompson is currently chasing:
- 100-yard receiving games in a season (USU) — At eight, Thompkins has the third-most in school history. Nakia Jenkins set the school record with nine 100-yard receiving games in 1996, a record Curtis tied in 2001.
- Career receiving yards (USU) — Heading into the game against the Lobo, at 2,323 yards in his career, Thompkins was seventh all-time in school history. The school record for receiving yards is 2,943, set by Kendal Smith (1985-88).
- Career receptions (USU) — Thompson has caught 151 passes as an Aggie, seventh all-time in school history. The school record for receptions is 178 set by Kevin Robinson (2004-07).
- 100-yard receiving games in a season (MW) — The conference record is 11, set by BYU’s Austin Collie in 2008. Thompkins is currently tied for the third-most in MW history and Utah State must play in the conference championship game if he is to have a chance at tying the Collie’s mark.
- Single season receiving yards (MW) — Prior to Saturday, Thompkins was also 278 yards shy of breaking the Mountain West Conference record of 1,785 receiving yards set by San Diego State’s J.R. Tolver in 2002.
This story will be updated.