Who stands between BYU soccer and a national title?
The Cougars are making their first appearance in the NCAA women’s soccer national championship, where they’ll face Florida State, a program with two national titles to its credit
BYU is just one win away from earning what would be the school’s first national championship in women’s soccer.
A heavy-hitting and experienced program awaits the Cougars in this year’s NCAA women’s soccer national championship, though.
BYU beat Santa Clara 3-2 on penalty kicks after neither team scored in regulation or two overtimes during the NCAA semifinals on Friday, while Florida State beat Rutgers 1-0 in the night’s other semifinal.
Here’s a look at the two teams competing for this year’s NCAA women’s soccer championship:
- Record: 18-4-1.
- Conference finish: 8-1, tied first in West Coast Conference.
- Road to the College Cup (NCAA tournament wins): W, 6-0 vs. New Mexico; W, 4-1 vs. Alabama; W, 1-0 vs. Virginia; W, 4-1 vs. South Carolina; T, 0-0 (win 3-2 on PKs) vs. Santa Clara.
- Stat leaders: Goals, Mikayla Colohan 18, Cameron Tucker 16; assists, Colohan 15, Brecken Mozingo 9; goals-against average, Cassidy Smith 0.65.
- What to know: This is BYU’s first trip to the College Cup. … The Cougars lead the nation in goals per game (3.5) and shots per game (24.45). … BYU, a conference rival of Santa Clara, had won just once at the Broncos’ Stevens Stadium, beating Santa Clara 2-1 last March, before defeating them again in the NCAA semifinals on Friday.
Florida State Seminoles
- Record: 21-1-2.
- Conference finish: 7-1-2, second in Atlantic Coast Conference.
- Road to the College Cup (NCAA tournament wins): W, 3-0 vs. South Alabama; W, 5-1 vs. SMU; W, 1-0 vs. Pepperdine; W, 1-0 vs. Michigan; W, 1-0 vs. Rutgers.
- Stat leaders: Goals, Beata Olsson 14, Clara Robbins 6; assists, Jody Brown 10, Yujie Zhao 9; goals-against average, Cristina Roque 0.64.
- What to know: This is Florida State’s eighth appearance in the last 11 College Cups. The top-ranked Seminoles won the national title in 2018 and 2014, and have been national runners-up three other times. … The Seminoles rank fifth nationally in goals per game (2.83) and are sixth in goals-against average (.550). … Florida State is led by three All-Americans this year — first-teamers Jaelin Howell, who scored the game-winner in the NCAA semifinals vs. Rutgers on Friday, and Emily Madril, along with second-teamer Zhao.
2021 College Cup schedule
- Florida State 1, Rutgers 0
- BYU 0, Santa Clara 0 (BYU won 3-2 on penalty kicks)
- BYU vs. Florida State, 6 p.m. MST (ESPNU)