Britney Spears and her longtime boyfriend Sam Asghari are engaged, the couple said Sunday.
Is Britney Spears engaged?
Spears, 39, made the announcement in an Instagram video. She and Asghari, 27, appear in the video together, sharing their engagement ring and celebrating the news. The couple has been together about five years.
- “The couple made their long-standing relationship official today and are deeply touched by the support, dedication and love expressed to them,” said Asghari’s manager Brandon Cohen, according to People magazine.
Will Briney Spears sign a prenup?
Fans, though, have urged Spears to sign a prenuptial agreement to protect to her $60 million fortune, according to The Washington Post. This has been suggested because Spears is currently in the middle of a major legal battle with her father, Jamie Spears, over conservatorship.
The latest on Britney Spears conservatorship battle
The announcement comes just days after Jamie Spears filed a petition to end his daughter’s court-ordered conservatorship, a major shift in Britney Spears’ ongoing court battle with her father. Per CNN, Jamie Spears filed a petition on Tuesday night that pointed to his daughter’s request to end the conservatorship as reason enough to shut it down.
- “Recent events related to this conservatorship have called into question whether circumstances have changed to such an extent that grounds for establishment of a conservatorship may no longer exist,” the filing said, according to CNN.
- “As Mr. Spears has said again and again, all he wants is what is best for his daughter,” the filing said, according to The Associated Press. “If Ms. Spears wants to terminate the conservatorship and believes that she can handle her own life, Mr. Spears believes that she should get that chance.”
However, a judge would need to approve the move.
- “It appears that Mr. Spears believes he can try to avoid accountability and justice, including sitting for a sworn deposition and answering other discovery under oath, but as we assess his filing (which was inappropriately sent to the media before it was served on counsel) we will also continue to explore all options,” Rosengart told CBS News.
Indeed, last week Britney Spears and Rosengart said Jamie Spears tried to escape paying $2 million in payments before stepping down from the conservatorship.
- Four weeks ago, Jamie Spears filed a response to his daughter’s petition for his suspension as conservator, saying he wanted to step down from the role.
However, his attorney said at the time that there were “no actual grounds for suspending or removing” him from the position.
- “There are, in fact, no actual grounds for suspending or removing Mr. Spears as the Conservator of the Estate under Probate Code section 2650. And it is highly debatable whether a change in conservator at this time would be in Ms. Spears’ best interests,” the court document from Jamie Spears said, according to Variety.
Britney Spears has been under her father’s conservatorship for 13 years. Jamie Spears became her conservator in 2008 after Spears had a public breakdown, according to Variety.
- Spears had recently requested to remove her father as her conservator through testimonies over the summer because she felt she was capable of performing and touring again.