Utah lost in triple overtime to San Diego State, 33-31, coming up short after a comeback effort that saw the Utes score 14 points in about six minutes at the end of regulation to send the game to overtime.
- Utah originally looked to have completed the two-point conversion with a pass from Cam Rising to Connor O’Toole but the ball hit the ground, replay officials overturned the call and SDSU escaped with a win.
- In the third overtime, both teams have one play for a two-point conversion from the 3-yard line. San Diego State runs the Philly special and converts.
- SDSU kicker Matt Araiza misses the 36-yard field goal and we’re going to a third overtime.
- Utah goes 3-and-out to start the second overtime and Jadon Redding misses the 37-yard field goal. SDSU can win with any score.
- Utah forces second overtime with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Cam Rising to Jaylen Dixon on the first play.
- SDSU had the ball first and the Aztecs pass the ball three times, drawing a pass interference call to set up a 2-yard touchdown pass from Lucas Johnson to Jay Rudolph.
- Cam Rising leads a two-minute drive 74 yards down the field, capped off with a touchdown pass to Theo Howard. Needing a two-point conversion, Rising finds Connor O’Toole to convert and force overtime.
- Cam Rising finds Britain Covey for a 2-yard touchdown, capping off a 63-yard drive that saw Rising extend multiple plays with his legs. Jadon Redding missed the extra point though, and Utah trails by eight points.
- Charlie Brewer throws into double coverage, leading to an interception by Tayler Hawkins, who returned it 34 yards to set up another 7-yard rushing touchdown by Greg Bell. SDSU leads 24-10.
- Greg Bell scores a 7-yard rushing touchdown to give SDSU a 17-10 lead. It was set up by a 54-yard quarterback keeper by Lucas Johnson.
Utah and SDSU are tied 10-10 at the half.
- Utah has just 89 total yards of offense — 70 yards passing and 19 yards rushing. Utah’s offensive line is performing poorly. The Aztecs are getting in the backfield with ease, sometimes completely unblocked, stopping the Utes’ rushing attack. SDSU has sacked Utah quarterback Charlie Brewer three times and the Aztecs have seven tackles for loss. Utah’s only offensive points, a field goal, were assisted by two penalties committed by the Aztecs, one on fourth down and one on third down, that extended the drive. Brewer has been pressured a lot, and when he has time, hasn’t been impressive, with a few bad throws.
- Utah’s defense has picked up the slack from the offense. The Utes have held the Aztecs to 79 total yards of offense, including just 23 passing yards. Utah has sacked SDSU backup quarterback Lucas Johnson once and have five tackles for loss. The Utes’ defense has allowed just three points.
- Utah gives up its second 100-yard kickoff return this season, as Jordan Byrd takes the Utes’ kickoff 100 yards to the house to tie the game.
- Jadon Redding makes a 43-yard field goal to increase Utah’s lead to 10-3.
- SDSU kicker Matt Araiza drills a 51-yard field goal for the Aztecs’ first points.
- Britain Covey gets Utah on the board first with an electric 80-yard punt return after Utah’s offense struggled to open the game.
Here are a few stories to get you ready for the game: