Chris Pratt brings Mario, the portly Italian plumber, to life in “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.”
Driving the news: Nintendo and Illumination released the first official trailer for “The Super Mario Bros. Movie.” The trailer launched on Thursday during a Nintendo Direct video presentation. The movie is set to hit theaters April 7, 2023.
- The trailer opens on Bowser, the “King Koopa,” taking on a tribe of adorable-but-angry penguins. The penguins are no match for Bowser, and he acquires a Mario star power up.
- During the second half of the trailer, there is a glimpse of Mario in the Mushroom Kingdom. Mario begins his journey through the mysterious land, led by Toad.
- During the final scene of the trailer, Luigi, Mario’s brother, is chased by Dry Bones, the prince of the Dark Kingdom.
What they’re saying: Fans and stars in the movie are equally excited to see it released this spring.
I have 2 thoughts on the Mario movie.— Robert Boyd (@werezompire) October 7, 2022
1) I hope it's a musical.
2) I hope Nintendo release a Super Mario Bros. the Movie the Game to coincide with the movie's launch.
Details: Pratt called the role of Mario “a lifelong dream of mine.” The rest of the Japanese video game characters are brought to life by an equally iconic cast.
- The star-studded cast includes Jack Black as Bowzer, Charlie Day as Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad and Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong.
- The movie is similar to Isekai, a Japanese storytelling style where a character is removed from their own world and suddenly transported into a strange new world.