Highlights, key plays and photos from Utah State’s 35-31 win over San Jose State
The Aggies need one more win to qualify for a bowl this season. Can USU take down SJSU in its final home game of the season?
Editor’s note: The Deseret News is providing live coverage from Saturday’s home finale for Utah State, against San Jose State. Check back for updates throughout the game.
Final: Utah State 35, San Jose State 31
Utah State 35, San Jose State 31
- Utah State retakes the lead on a three-yard touchdown run up the middle by Calvin Tyler Jr.
- SJSU retakes the lead for the first time since the first quarter on a one yard touchdown reception by Jackson Canaan. Cordeiro has now thrown for 248 yards and four touchdowns in the game. The Spartans then convert the two-point conversion on pass to Elijah Cooks.
Utah State 28, San Jose State 23
- San Jose State intercepts Cooper Legas at the USU 28 yard line. Cornerback Chase Williams had the takeaway.
- The Spartans passing attack continues to tear apart the Aggies’ defense. Cordero found Elijah Cooks for this third touchdown reception of the game, this one from nine yards out. SJSU drove 60 yards in three minutes flat, once again pulling with five points of Utah State.
- Justin McGriff increases the Aggies’ lead with a 19-yard touchdown reception. USU drove 81 yards in 11 plays with McGriff making two catches for 42 yards and the score.
- SJSU kicker Taren Shive makes a 41-yard field goal, cutting the Aggies’ lead to five early in the third quarter.
- SJSU defensive lineman Marcel Sanders forced a USU fumble (by running back Calvin Tyler Jr), recovered by safety Tre Jenkins, gifting the Spartans the ball near midfield.
Utah State 21, San Jose State 13
- SJSU quarterback Chevan Cordeiro finds Elijah Cooks for a 29-yard touchdown reception, keeping the Spartans in the game just as Utah State had seemingly established control. The Spartans drove 65 yards in four plays, taking 24 seconds.
- Ike Larsen blocked his third punt of the season, and USU defensive end Jaden Smith recovered the block and returned it 56 yards for a touchdown.
- Utah State drove 61 yards in 12-plays for its second score of the game, another touchdown run by Calvin Tyler Jr., this from two yards out. The Aggies have nearly doubled San Jose State’s offensive production thus far, with 209 yards compared to 124.
Utah State 7, San Jose State 6
- Utah State running back Calvin Tyler Jr., weasels his way through a mass of players for a 14-yard touchdown run. The score capped off a 15-play, 96-yard drive, tied for the Aggies’ longest drive of the year. USU ran six minutes off the clock.
- USU quarterback Cooper Legas is intercepted by San Jose State safety Tre Jenkins, and returns the pick to the Spartans’ 37-yard line.
- The Spartans strike first with a 36-yard touchdown reception by Elijah Cooks from Chevan Cordeiro. The score capped off a 5-play, 81-yard drive. The Aggies (defensive tackle Tavian Coleman) blocked the extra point try, however.
Here are a few stories to get ready for Utah State’s game against San Jose State:
- Keys to the game for the Aggies.
- A look at USUs captains for Saturday night’s showdown against San Jose State.